HomePassenger Car GalleryNon-Passenger GalleryUpdatesLinksMore
Illustrated History of Connecticut License Plates
Joe Wasielewski - ALPCA Member 6996
All-Terrain
Ambulance
Amateur Radio
Apportioned
Boat Ramp
Bus
Camp Trailer to 1957
Camp Trailer 1958-
Camper
Classic Vehicle
Combination 1
Combination 2
Commercial to 1957
Commercial 1958-
Common
Construction
Dealer Motorcycle
Dealer New to 1969
Dealer New 1970-1989
Dealer New 1990-
Dealer Spec. Equip.
Dealer Used to 1969
Dealer Used 1970-1989
Dealer Used 1990-
Dismantler
Early American
Error Plates
Exp. Test
Factory
Farm
Fire Apparatus
Fish
Foreign Consul
Gasoline
Handicapped
Hearse
High Mileage Veh.
Interstate
Junk
Livery
Marine Trailer
M.F.G.
Military
Miscellaneous/Local
Motorcycle
Municipal
M.V. Dept
Parade
Permits
Political - State
Political - US
POW
Prototype
PUC
Repair to 1969
Repair 1970-
Sample
School Bus
Service Bus
Snowmobile
Special Equipment
Sphinx
State
Student Transport
Taxi
Temp. Metal Plates
Temp. Non-Passenger
Temp. Pass.
Temp. Reg. Certificate
Toll
Trailer
Trans.
Vanpool
Veteran
Volunteer Firefighter
Wrecker
Dealer New to 1969
Click to see this type in useThese plates are issued to new car dealers who are operating under a manufacturer's or importer's contract.

The plates are to be used for demonstrating new vehicles, on vehicles picking-up or delivering parts, or loaned to a purchaser while a pending registration is being processed. Full-time dealership employees are also allowed use of these plates for personal use.

This type started in 1907. The plates were the reverse colors of passenger car plates and had a 'D' suffix from 1907 to 1916. Starting in 1917 an 'X' prefix was used and the plates were the same colors as regular passenger car plates. Eventually a second letter was used after the 'X'. In 1932, stacked letters were used as a prefix. Sometime after this, the 'D' and 'X' series were split.

In 1942, the distinction was made between "New Dealer" and "Used Dealer" on the plates themselves. New Car Dealers used the 'X' prefix, and 'D' went to used dealers.

At this time, dealers would receive a "distinguishing number", for example "X234". The dealership would then receive plates XA 234, XB 234, XC 234 and so on. XQ- and XZ- are skipped, making the complete set 24 plates.


1957 saw the introduction of standard-sized 6x12 Dealer plates. 'New' and 'Used' were no longer spelled out on the plates; they are only distinguished by the first letter.

Starting in 1961, dealer plates became annual issues - the plates were replaced every year. The colors were blue on white for odd years, and white on blue for even years. This practice continued through 1980. The year of expiration was stamped into the plate.

1913 1915
1913
Dealer plates started in 1907, in reverse colors of regular passenger car plates, and with a 'D' suffix.
This plate was issued to Edward Wetmore of Roxbury.
 1915. This plate was issued to Hepburn Bros. on Bridge St. in New Milford
   
1917  1918
1917
In 1917, the 'D' suffix was changed to an 'X' prefix.
1918
   
 1922 1923
 1922
This is probably as nice as you will ever find one of these plates - the paint is all original; the plate was never used.
1923
   
 1937  1938
1937
The Dealer legend became more specific in 1942, denoting whether the dealer sold New or Used vehicles.
 1938
   
1941  
 1941  
   
1954 1957
1954
1957
There are a couple of curious plates on the '54-'56 base with a letter suffix after the numbers. For use at very large dealerships?
   
 1958  1960
1958 1960
   
 1961 1962 
1961
Dealer plates reversed in color every year through 1979. While dealer plates were one of the few types dated 1961 in Connecticut, 1961 dealer plates are not any rarer than any other year dealer plate.
1962
   
 1963  1964
1963 1964
   
 1965  1966
1965 1966
   
 1967  1969
1967 1969
   
HomePassenger Car GalleryNon-Passenger GalleryUpdatesLinksMore